Thursday, November 19, 2015

Poncho Bill's 1957 Pontiac Starchief #3

The inner rear fender housing had a bad ass line of rot that ran from the rocker all the way into the trunk, I made up a 4 foot long piece of steel on my bending brake and then used the shrinker / stretcher to get the radius right and grafted it in. lots of welding and grinding in tight places! I've been taking pics with my phone so they suck, but they are what they are. Just imagine I am laying on the floor looking up into the fender well taking some of the pics , you get the idea. I got the new outer fender well welded into place with the new seal on the edge. I was gonna fix the old outer housing extension / splash tin seeing how it a "pontiac" only piece but figured the heck with it i can just make a new one quicker, so i did. I spray can primed and painted it (rustoleum of course) and let it cure on the wood stove in my shop before i handled it, but i have it test fitted in the car with screws and vise grips, tomorrow I'll get the splash seal on and weld it in "Get out in the Garage and build something" - Fritz -----