Sunday, August 26, 2012

Breaking the Mold Ed Roth Style!

I have a friend Dave who also has an Ed "Big Daddy" Roth VW trike like I have. But, somewhere along it's long life, some one butchered the seat on it, and glassed in a fiberglass dune buggy style seat ????? What the hell man? (My Ed Roth Vitamin E style VW trike.) So Dave, knowing I am the worlds biggest Roth fan, asked me to make a quickie mold off my trike body, so he could undo the ugly terror that had been done to his. I like to think I did it the way Roth would have. I painted the area I would be working on with latex house paint, three coats. After it was dry, I gave it a real good slathering of paste wax. Then I just layed up three layers of fiberglass matt on top of it all. It was a bit of a bitch to start pulling it off, but once it got going, it really did just "pop" right off! (The area in question, the baby blue is the house paint I put on as a mold release.) (This is the piece I popped off of my trike for Dave. Down and dirty and done!) This is all I really got done over the last week. I have been finishing up some doo dads on the "Baja Bandeeto", and am waiting on a brake fluid reservoir to come in so I can finish making and fitting a few things. Then I can disassemble the rolling chassis for paint and chrome. After that I will focus on the body. What have you guys been building? Let's see it! Get out there in the garage and build something! Fritz